Brazil (for Max) end-of-life announcement...

Guess this was to be expected. But I hope this is referring only to supporting B2 for Max and that they've not killed off development of B3 for Max?! :{

http://splutterfish.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24857

Views: 1423

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Indeed they say it's just about B2 for Max, but it doesn't sound encouraging for the timeline of B3. I think maybe they could have handled this differently, I sure don't see how this is going to help me SELL Brazil 2 for Rhino.

It is very odd (or just very bad business) to suggest your customers look into competing software to fulfill their rendering needs. I could understand if they simultaneously said "B2 will no longer supported after X-Date because B3 will be released on Y-Date and there will be enough overlap for clients to port their work. But this is not the case... I've no idea what these guys are thinking... Once a customer is lost to the competition, they rarely come back...

Maxwell : $844

VRay : $799

 

Take your pick :-)....

I have both at the office. But I prefer using Brazil... *_*

Alan Crighton said:

Maxwell : $844

VRay : $799

 

Take your pick :-)....

Jonah,

 

OK, but if you had to make a decision in which one to buy with your hard earned cash, which one would it be??

 

Alan

I already have licenses of Fry, Modo, & Brazil. But imagining that Brazil were not an option - Needing a good/fast engine running inside of Rhino, I would choose VRay without any question. But if i didn't care about rendering inside of Rhino, I would choose Modo as it offers a LOT more function beyond rendering and continues improving at a ridiculous pace. My only issue with Modo is it not being very good at handling very high-res meshes which Brazil & VRay can eat for breakfast (and then they ask when lunch will be ready!)...

Alan Crighton said:

Jonah,

 

OK, but if you had to make a decision in which one to buy with your hard earned cash, which one would it be??

 

Alan

Just to re-iterate...

Brazil for Rhino isn't "end-of-lifed" - in fact, I can assure you that Brazil for Rhino is more alive than ever.

Andy, OK.... so let's see something a little more tangible about BR3? Jonah's comment about Imaginations handling/wording of the announcement was spot on. Suggesting competing software in the absence of something about Brazil-3 was a pretty dumb thing to do, IMHO... I'm aware of the previous statements about NDA's impacting McNeels ability to share data on Brazil-3, but the uncertainty isn't helped by Imaginations statement.

 

Unless the users (and I have no idea just how many Brazil for Rhino users are out there.....), see a clear path forward, many may choose to 'jump ship' to a competing solution. Unless I can be convinced otherwise, my plan is to buy Maxwell in the next few weeks and use it as my primary rendering solution.

Imagination have of course said that B3 is coming, this announcement is saying they're no just longer going to patch up B2 for the endless treadmill of new Max releases in the meantime, which is obviously not so much a problem with Rhino. What it obviously doesn't tell us is anything about the B3 timeframe other than it's probably not very soon, heck they probably don't know any better than that--judging from the responses about the major features OpenRL tech is still lacking to actually replace B2--and we know how useful software release estimates are anyway.

Well looking over at Splutterfish it seems that I was a bit mistaken...or someone at Caustic needs to get their messaging right. "B3" is coming to Max, but it'll be sorta like Neon, they're specifically saying they have no production renderer in the pipeline (that they care to talk about now anyway,) they're in the realtime SDK business now. So it would appear that whatever eventually gets called, if it does get called "Brazil 3 for Rhino" might make use of Caustic's tech but will ultimately be the product of Andrew and co. here. Is that any closer to what anyone knows to be the truth?

Right, but that's what Brazil 2.0 for Rhino is as well - Caustic tech, but a "product of Andrew and co."

jim.carruthers said:

Well looking over at Splutterfish it seems that I was a bit mistaken...or someone at Caustic needs to get their messaging right. "B3" is coming to Max, but it'll be sorta like Neon, they're specifically saying they have no production renderer in the pipeline (that they care to talk about now anyway,) they're in the realtime SDK business now. So it would appear that whatever eventually gets called, if it does get called "Brazil 3 for Rhino" might make use of Caustic's tech but will ultimately be the product of Andrew and co. here. Is that any closer to what anyone knows to be the truth?

More tangible than a functional renderer?  I know I've said that Neon is not a renderer, but the reality is that while it is a viewport display engine, it is built on the B3 core.  I don't know exactly what the plans are yet, but I can tell you that the basics are in place.


Alan Crighton said:

Andy, OK.... so let's see something a little more tangible about BR3? Jonah's comment about Imaginations handling/wording of the announcement was spot on. Suggesting competing software in the absence of something about Brazil-3 was a pretty dumb thing to do, IMHO... I'm aware of the previous statements about NDA's impacting McNeels ability to share data on Brazil-3, but the uncertainty isn't helped by Imaginations statement.

 

Unless the users (and I have no idea just how many Brazil for Rhino users are out there.....), see a clear path forward, many may choose to 'jump ship' to a competing solution. Unless I can be convinced otherwise, my plan is to buy Maxwell in the next few weeks and use it as my primary rendering solution.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

Members

© 2022   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service