Brazil (for Max) end-of-life announcement...

Guess this was to be expected. But I hope this is referring only to supporting B2 for Max and that they've not killed off development of B3 for Max?! :{

http://splutterfish.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24857

Views: 1422

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was wondering if you'd likely say that about B2. Anyway, you see the reaction to this on the Splutterfish forum, users over there are not terribly impressed, not even with the prospect of something like Neon for Max if that's all that's coming. Maybe you guys are going to have to make a name change or something to distance yourselves from that PR mess.

Andrew le Bihan said:

Right, but that's what Brazil 2.0 for Rhino is as well - Caustic tech, but a "product of Andrew and co."

jim.carruthers said:

Well looking over at Splutterfish it seems that I was a bit mistaken...or someone at Caustic needs to get their messaging right. "B3" is coming to Max, but it'll be sorta like Neon, they're specifically saying they have no production renderer in the pipeline (that they care to talk about now anyway,) they're in the realtime SDK business now. So it would appear that whatever eventually gets called, if it does get called "Brazil 3 for Rhino" might make use of Caustic's tech but will ultimately be the product of Andrew and co. here. Is that any closer to what anyone knows to be the truth?

I just got into the rendering game after some years hiatus, and things have certainly turned around.

Vray seems like it's being killed for rhino, which makes brazil the defacto standard for rhino users imho.

The current implementation of brazil for rhino is fast and the rendering options look just like they did in MAX for better or worse. For someone who needs to be able to actually work a bit with the shaders and lighting options there seems to be no sound alternatives. 

Is there any hope that there will be a UX reevaluation of the rendering options ?

(I know it's an old thread, yes)

Where did your opinion about Vray come from?

Jim

brixvold said:

I just got into the rendering game after some years hiatus, and things have certainly turned around.

Vray seems like it's being killed for rhino, which makes brazil the defacto standard for rhino users imho.

The current implementation of brazil for rhino is fast and the rendering options look just like they did in MAX for better or worse. For someone who needs to be able to actually work a bit with the shaders and lighting options there seems to be no sound alternatives. 

Is there any hope that there will be a UX reevaluation of the rendering options ?

(I know it's an old thread, yes)

I've been trying unsuccesfully to get news about the development of vray for years, now they've finally released an updated version for rhino that is ages behind the max development cycle.  

Too little too late.

>Is there any hope that there will be a UX reevaluation of the rendering options ?

Yes.  We're working on that right now, along with many other things.

Sounds really good, where can one go to look at whats coming?
Was a safeframe ever implemented or is that yet to come?

Safe frame has been in there from the get go. It's actually in Rhino 5.0 - but also in the V4 RDK that gets installed with Brazil.
The only place you can go to see what's coming, is coffee break in our office ;) We're still designing it!

But - here's what I want to do:

Create a totally simple settings/environment UI based on presets with previews.
Create a complete scene manager that can swap out materials, environments, lights, presets and so on.
Simplify the material settings (with an "Expert Mode" type button that keeps all the complex stuff).
Further improvements to Neon support for Brazil materials.

More ideas always welcome.

My bad, haven't been around for a while, but thanks for letting me know.

Andrew le Bihan said:

Safe frame has been in there from the get go. It's actually in Rhino 5.0 - but also in the V4 RDK that gets installed with Brazil.

Are presets going to be all that useful with Brazil? It seems like much of my time is spent fiddling with settings I barely understand trying to get a decent compromise between speed and quality, presets are going to be kind of a blunt instrument? Fine for sales demos I guess...

A "scene manager" sounds good, but I really don't want to see an "expert mode" button on every material. I don't think it really addresses the problem anyway, if you don't want to use complex materials you can use the Basic material, and the "advanced" stuff involves combining relatively simple textures and shaders, not learning what the absorption settings under Refraction do. The problem is more when setting up a remotely complex scene, trying to do anything remotely subtle without having to use some 3rd party 3D paint program(like the topic I posted about markings on a runway,) I wind up with a massive messy hierarchy of layered shaders and textures that are almost identical(or are identical but not instanced) and trying to make any sort of overall change makes me lose the will to live.



Andrew le Bihan said:

The only place you can go to see what's coming, is coffee break in our office ;) We're still designing it!

But - here's what I want to do:

Create a totally simple settings/environment UI based on presets with previews.
Create a complete scene manager that can swap out materials, environments, lights, presets and so on.
Simplify the material settings (with an "Expert Mode" type button that keeps all the complex stuff).
Further improvements to Neon support for Brazil materials.

More ideas always welcome.

Sounds like fun!
Right now I could use a "save all brazil render settings" button.

I would look at the way things are structured now as well, imo the way things are ordered and their naming structure seems unclear to me even though I started messing around with them at the beginning of what we now know as brazil.

A simplified system is a good idea, but a well thought out advanced system sounds even better.

Could you also look at the render windows of AirRender? the way it lists your old renderings on the side is inconcievably useful.

Oh and please consider making a material editor system like grasshopper.



Andrew le Bihan said:

The only place you can go to see what's coming, is coffee break in our office ;) We're still designing it!

But - here's what I want to do:

Create a totally simple settings/environment UI based on presets with previews.
Create a complete scene manager that can swap out materials, environments, lights, presets and so on.
Simplify the material settings (with an "Expert Mode" type button that keeps all the complex stuff).
Further improvements to Neon support for Brazil materials.

More ideas always welcome.
There's a "Save all Brazil render settings" button at the bottom of the Brazil Render Settings dialog. Does that do what you need?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

  • Add Videos
  • View All

Members

© 2022   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service