Original topic http://legacy.brazil.mcneel.com/forums/p/1285/3894.aspx#3894

Hi Andy. Some other things I'm badly wanting, and we've discussed a few of them before. Will any of these be in the next update or maybe in 2.1 ?

• Object ID pass
  • Material ID pass
  • Global switch for chromatic dispersion
  • Fix the scripting, where values fail to initialize without manually forcing them first
  • Environment color goes crazy if adjusting values of HDRI or EXR image
  • "Self" option in the include/exclude lists
  • Set # of reflect/refract bounces per material
Thanks, jonah /

and

One more... Toggle switch to disable the Final (rgb) render pass, so when we only need one
of the other passes, we don't have to wait for an unneeded render. Even when dumbing down
the render settings, the final pass still hogs a lot of time... ...ok, make that 2 more... Save all
channels to .psd file thanks jonah

author :jbshorty

Views: 1039

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jonah

Thanks - we'll try to get as much as possible into the 2.1 release.

Andy

Some other feature requests that have come up for me over the past year and a half of teaching the software:

- procedural brick material!  E.g. like 3DMax's - it's SO USEFUL for architectural work (ability to choose stacking patterns, randomize shade and color variation, etc.).  In general Brazil's procedural maps are one of the things that makes it better than Maxwell and VRay (for Rhino)... but the brick pattern is so necessary to complete the toolset

- some kind of lens shift capability (similar to Maxwell's, perhaps, or 3DMax's ability to skew the camera) - it's so maddening teaching my students to be super-careful about framing and the logistics of setting up multiple views, only to have to go into Photoshop to mash the images into 2-point perspectives (or whatever) at the end of the workflow.

- along the same lines: better protection of the SafeFrame so that I don't have to re-shape the Rhino viewports to see the SafeFrame.  3DMax sets the example here, of course.  This would go a long way towards making Rhino feel like a professional rendering platform, I feel - I miss it every minute I use the software.

- better displacement capabilities (don't know if this falls to Rhino or Brazil to resolve...)

- render farm capability - or, at least, the ability to queue renderings up to run overnight

What would be really helpful if you implement clipping planes so that Brazil recognizes SectionTools for Rhino 5. I don't know how complicated this.

Agreed (though I don't know SectionTools yet)!  What's strange is that the developers claimed to have included "Clipping Plane support" in the service release for Brazil for Rhino, but I find that my Rhino 4 (SR9) clipping plane object still does not register in a Brazil rendering.  Perhaps I'm missing something?

Wieland, I assume you know the workaround using the glass plane(s), and fiddling with primary rays vs. refracted rays for all objects... if not, search the forum here for "Brazil clipping plane" and you'll find plenty of info. 

Hi George, thank you for the workaround hint, I didn't know about it. You are right clipping plane support is on the new feature list of SR1. http://wiki.mcneel.com/brazil/devstatus It doen't work for me either.

Hmmm....that's odd...I definitely wrote it!

I will check it out - but there's a SR2 coming soon, we'll probably just wait for that.

Cool, that's good news on both fronts!  Please do confirm if the clipping plane support works in a way I'm not understanding (I just made a Rhino ClippingPlane, and tried to render in Brazil from that view, and the plane has no effect...).

Wieland - glad to be of help!  I like this 'workaround' in some ways, because it allows non-planar section cuts, but it is still a pretty confusing and invasive (affects many objects in the file) technique to teach to students.

Hi Andrew, that's great new, when can we expect SR2? I really could use clipping planes for a project right now...

Andrew le Bihan said:

Hmmm....that's odd...I definitely wrote it!

I will check it out - but there's a SR2 coming soon, we'll probably just wait for that.

Hi
Cant find anything in this forum or the legacy forum on that work around...

TX

George Showman said:

Wieland, I assume you know the workaround using the glass plane(s), and fiddling with primary rays vs. refracted rays for all objects... if not, search the forum here for "Brazil clipping plane" and you'll find plenty of info. 

I see - the forum has really lost a lot of content!  I'll dump my notes from one of my handouts here, I hope these help you (see below).  There is another variant of this, but this version certainly works well.

Making surfaces ‘invisible to the camera’

-       under every object’s Properties, choose Brazil from the drop-down at the top, uncheck ‘primary (camera) rays’ to make the object disappear from the rendering, but still participate in all the light-bouncing – this is crucial! (try just hiding the object and see how different the result is.

Z-Clipping

Z-clipping is the notion of clipping the model in the Z-axis – i.e. in depth from the camera.  It is absolutely critical for good interior renderings. 

-       Rhino has a command, ClippingPlane, that shows you how this works.

-       Brazil does not support this command…

-       Instead, you need to create a plane of glass and use material properties to make this work:

1. Make a new glass material with no reflection, and an IOR of 1 under Refraction.  This is a perfectly transparent (i.e. invisible) material!
  2. Apply this material to a big plane that you will use to clip the model.
  3. Select everything else in the model and make it invisible to the camera (see above)
Your plane will now work as desired.  This works because all the objects behind the plane are being refracted through the glass, so you are not seeing the objects themselves, rather their (perfect) refractions.

Jennifer - I found the older forum posts.  Try this out:

http://legacy.brazil.mcneel.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=clippin...

Lots of info!

Excellent, thank you very much!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Members

© 2020   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service