Hi Andy. As it seems the Brazil team is "back", i have a slew of unfulfilled feature requests to resubmit :)

1. Catmull-Clark subd support at render time!!! You already have a CC-subd smoothing algorithm, don't you?  (cough) ShutLining plugin (end cough)...
  2. "Self" option in the Occlusion texture's Include/Exclude list...
  3. Occlusion texture - Add extra control for surface convexity. To capture the effects of trapping oxidation/dirt in convex regions of geometry. I imagine shooting rays off the surface and test if any hits occur below a radius threshold. The current occlusion settings don't seem to behave in any way similar to this...
  4. Ability to set # of reflection & reflection rays per object or per material! This would be very helpful in doing fast jewelry production renders, where you need a lot of bounces inside of the stones but don't need as many on the reflection of the metal settings...
  5. Proximity texture - Again, would be very helpful in jewelry renders. Could also be useful to quickly fake other effects such as heat transmission, shadows, color bleeding...
  6. Thin Film Texture - To add phenomena such as iridescence (again, it's important in jewelry!!!). I though this was in the works a couple of years ago?
  7. improved Render Blowup command - My suggestion is to allow a user-defined color for the region outside of the target, so it can be easily positioned and masked out in post...
  8. Material Zone mapping - So we can add multiple materials to a single object. Ideally we select portions of geometry to receive materials. But if that is too tricky, I've also seen this done in another engine which had a 10-color mixing texture. You assign the slotted shader to an object, then assign materials to any # of the colored slots. You then create an image texture using any # of the 10 known colors and the engine can read which pixel receives each material... Or perhaps material zones could be integrated within the UV Editor?
  9. Billboard objects - not for me, but useful for architecture/landscape rendering!
  10. Better render pass system, with more options (reflection, refraction, shadow, material IDs, object IDs, occlusion, normals, transparency, SSS, etc) with option to save multiple channels as layered PSD file or similar. This could also help to develop a workflow between Rhino/Brazil and Motiva's Colimo post-process "re-rendering" application...
  11. PIXEL displacement - I appreciate the displacement feature which you guys & gals implemented but it's not anywhere near being practical on complex geometry. It also does not appear to work on meshes, which leads me to think it's just an extension of R5's surface Displacement command (which needs help, by the way!)...

That's it for now, but I'll be back :)

jonah

Views: 1549

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't understand 11). Are you saying the new SR3 beta displacement isn't working for you?

well, it's not "not working" :)  It just doesn't work well. We have a recent jewelry product line which i used V4 "New Displacement" plugin to develop a wood texture (using black/white image) on those parts and got very nice results from it. I tried it also on V5 displacement and had major issues with "slashing" artifacts and the mesh tearing apart. No such problems on V4. Now i tried that same model using Brazil displacement with procedural wood texture and the same type of problems appeared. All surfaces on the model are G1 at every seam (and no polar singularities, either) but render-time displacement still gives poor results. If i can get authorization to send you the model file then i will, but i don't think the upper-crust will allow it. I'll probably have to recreate the process on another file... Also the ideal is to be per-pixel displacement, not some type of remeshing (?) at render time...

The new Brazil displacement *is* per pixel. It sounds to me like you're looking at the wrong thing.

Ok, you're right i see now it is per pixel. But what i said about it being choppy is still true, using either procedural or image based textures. I also would prefer to have individual distance settings for black & white levels. Currently what is considered to be the baaseline, a pixel brightness value of 127 ?

jonah

No - 0 is the baseline. 255 is the top. If you want control over black/white, use per-object displacement (also render time per pixel) and set the offset.
I need examples for the choppy-ness. At the very least, renderings.

Well, that makes no sense Andy. So you can only displace "up"? Compared to other render engines, that's pretty limited in scope isn't it? Wasn't aware of the per-object pixel displacement because I'm not using Brazil in V5 yet. I'm on Win7 but still doing all my rendering & modeling work in V4 using Brazil, so i can't install Brazil 64-bit onto my system at same time its installed in 32-bit V4. Hmmm, i guess i need to make a choice to make the jump fully to V5/64 for rendering... The problem i was seeing was using the displacment under "Surface Deformations" in the BAM shader of V4. Can you do me a favor and post an image of the per-object pixel displacement dialog?

jonah

Andrew le Bihan said:

No - 0 is the baseline. 255 is the top. If you want control over black/white, use per-object displacement (also render time per pixel) and set the offset.
Jonah....remember...this is *all* beta. You don't need V5 for any of this - you only need SR3 Beta 1. And the per-object displacement is on the Brazil Object Properties page

AH!!! I hadn't even noticed that addition. Will play around with it and see how it goes... :)

Andrew le Bihan said:

Jonah....remember...this is *all* beta. You don't need V5 for any of this - you only need SR3 Beta 1. And the per-object displacement is on the Brazil Object Properties page

OK, i tried it.

• How do you set a mapping channel on the per-object settings?
  • How do you "mask" regions according to a texture map?

These are obvious when depending on the per-object displacement which i hope will be addressed...

Jonah

I don't think we've set up the mapping channel stuff yet.  I'll put that in the pile.

Masking?  Use an advanced blend.

Billboard objects will be in Rhino 5.0 SR2 - the command will (probably) be called "Cutout"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Members

© 2022   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service