Hi Andy. As it seems the Brazil team is "back", i have a slew of unfulfilled feature requests to resubmit :)

1. Catmull-Clark subd support at render time!!! You already have a CC-subd smoothing algorithm, don't you?  (cough) ShutLining plugin (end cough)...
  2. "Self" option in the Occlusion texture's Include/Exclude list...
  3. Occlusion texture - Add extra control for surface convexity. To capture the effects of trapping oxidation/dirt in convex regions of geometry. I imagine shooting rays off the surface and test if any hits occur below a radius threshold. The current occlusion settings don't seem to behave in any way similar to this...
  4. Ability to set # of reflection & reflection rays per object or per material! This would be very helpful in doing fast jewelry production renders, where you need a lot of bounces inside of the stones but don't need as many on the reflection of the metal settings...
  5. Proximity texture - Again, would be very helpful in jewelry renders. Could also be useful to quickly fake other effects such as heat transmission, shadows, color bleeding...
  6. Thin Film Texture - To add phenomena such as iridescence (again, it's important in jewelry!!!). I though this was in the works a couple of years ago?
  7. improved Render Blowup command - My suggestion is to allow a user-defined color for the region outside of the target, so it can be easily positioned and masked out in post...
  8. Material Zone mapping - So we can add multiple materials to a single object. Ideally we select portions of geometry to receive materials. But if that is too tricky, I've also seen this done in another engine which had a 10-color mixing texture. You assign the slotted shader to an object, then assign materials to any # of the colored slots. You then create an image texture using any # of the 10 known colors and the engine can read which pixel receives each material... Or perhaps material zones could be integrated within the UV Editor?
  9. Billboard objects - not for me, but useful for architecture/landscape rendering!
  10. Better render pass system, with more options (reflection, refraction, shadow, material IDs, object IDs, occlusion, normals, transparency, SSS, etc) with option to save multiple channels as layered PSD file or similar. This could also help to develop a workflow between Rhino/Brazil and Motiva's Colimo post-process "re-rendering" application...
  11. PIXEL displacement - I appreciate the displacement feature which you guys & gals implemented but it's not anywhere near being practical on complex geometry. It also does not appear to work on meshes, which leads me to think it's just an extension of R5's surface Displacement command (which needs help, by the way!)...

That's it for now, but I'll be back :)

jonah

Views: 1549

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

2) is now done - all appropriate exclusion lists include "Self".

More information on the convex/proximity stuff?  Models?  Examples?

2) SWEEET! Been wanting that one for a long time. It will be very handy :)

• Proximity - A simple example would be if rendering a blowtorch, placing a piece of geometry to represent the flame. When rendering, the blowtorch nozzle could be made to appear as glowing red-hot metal if it falls within the falloff of the proximity shader. Another good use of this shader is to drive oxidation/dirt effects, where dirt collects as objects sit on each other for a long time. Being able to use geometry to drive color effects can open a lot of possibilites...
  • Convexity - There are lots of objects in the real world, and many in product design such as jewelry where convex areas would retain an oxidized finish (whether it is desired or not). The current occlusion methods don't account for this. For example, in this revolved form. If i cast it in silver, oxidized it, and then tumbled around in a barrel with particles which could not fit into the cavity, then all the oxidation would be removed on the exterior but still be oxidized on the interior. Would be handy to generate this shader effect. Not sure how this compares to occulsion technique. I imagine that occlusion shoots rays at a surface? And in this case, i imagine to shoot rays from a surface in a random direction but to a maximum angle variance from the surface normal. Something like this?

Andrew le Bihan said:

2) is now done - all appropriate exclusion lists include "Self".

More information on the convex/proximity stuff?  Models?  Examples?

We have to rewrite them by hand for Neon.  Brazil can use the internal procedurals natively.

Vicente Soler said:

You could use the Grasshopper plugin for this sort of thing. In this example I blend between two materials depending on whether the surface is convex or concave.

The limitation using only basic Grasshopper components you are limited by the mesh resolution (it bakes vertex colors and Brazil reads them with the vertex colors shader). Using a simple script you could also export a UV mapped bitmap with higher resolution than the mesh.

The ideal thing would be to be able to create native Rhino/Brazil WCS shaders inside GH. Given the popularity of GH I think that an effort to integrate Brazil-GH would give Brazil a boost. It's not like David Rutten is a stranger to Brazil.

Btw, does Brazil and Neon read native Rhino shaders automatically (I doubt it) or do you specifically have to adapt them to Brazil and then to Neon one by one manually?

I assume that this method only works with surfaces - not meshes?

- Andy

Vicente Soler said:

You could use the Grasshopper plugin for this sort of thing. In this example I blend between two materials depending on whether the surface is convex or concave.

The limitation using only basic Grasshopper components you are limited by the mesh resolution (it bakes vertex colors and Brazil reads them with the vertex colors shader). Using a simple script you could also export a UV mapped bitmap with higher resolution than the mesh.

The ideal thing would be to be able to create native Rhino/Brazil WCS shaders inside GH. Given the popularity of GH I think that an effort to integrate Brazil-GH would give Brazil a boost. It's not like David Rutten is a stranger to Brazil.

Btw, does Brazil and Neon read native Rhino shaders automatically (I doubt it) or do you specifically have to adapt them to Brazil and then to Neon one by one manually?

Its great that GH can create effects like this, but i think that shader effects should be the domain of Brazil. And GH would be better served to sprout additional functionality by reading the shader info from Brazil. Example, as in other render engines, where you can populate a surface/mesh with instances of other objects based on shader pixel brightness/color/ etc of a shader. And of course using shader info to also affect randomized color, size, rotation, etc. That could be a huge area of exploration and very well suited for GH !

I agree that accessing shader info to do this stuff would be nice, but it does seem a little dumb to have a procedural geometry maker built into Brazil when GH is already so amazingly good at this.  I think we should instead try to convince David to add a procedural mapper to GH.

The only problem here would be that it wouldn't have access to Brazil shadow/light type information.

Shhhh... Be careful that Paul doesn't hear you. We know how much he loves the shadow/light texture :)

Andrew le Bihan said:

...The only problem here would be that it wouldn't have access to Brazil shadow/light type information....

I could certainly see a recursion problem there - new geometry creates shadows...

4 is done. No "per object" though - even though that's possible, I don't think it's such a brilliant idea because it's not optimal in terms of performance.  So the next beta will have ray depth overrides in the BAM, Chrome, Glass and Porcelain.

:) can't wait to try it! I have a feeling this might speed things up for me a lot!

We're close to a new release, so it won't be long

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Members

© 2022   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service